What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I ping from Switch to Switch to measure latency?

Votes:

I need to be able to run a sensor which shows the latency in milliseconds between two given switches. I don't need it to be fancy, the feedback from a PING sensor will be absolutely fine. I can then set thresholds against the milliseconds delay that I see.

At the moment I can only see a way of running a ping from the network probe itself or I can use latency sensors within Cisco IP SLA which is not what I want.

Any ideas?

delay latency ping

Created on Jul 8, 2013 4:16:10 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

For something like this the only other option would be to run a remote ping from either a Linux or Windows machine that is directly connected to the switch. PRTG can execute the ping request from a Windows machine via WMI or through a LKinux machhine through SSH.

WMI Remote Ping

SSH Remote Ping

Created on Jul 9, 2013 9:07:29 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello!

Can i apply "SSH Remote Ping Sensor" to (for example) Cisco Routers or Checkpoint firewalls? Or this sensor can only be used "between a system running Linux/Mac OS X and another device"? For example i want to ping some device direct from a cisco router? Or in this case will be better to use IP SLA? Checkpoint firewalls doesn't has IP SLA but they has Linux-based firmware.

Created on Dec 24, 2019 11:34:46 AM

Votes:

Good question. I haven't tried this before, not sure if it will work. But usually, one would use the IP SLA Sensor, yes :)

Created on Dec 26, 2019 9:34:39 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.