What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring HA Pairs of devices

Votes:

I have several devices that are deployed in HA pairs. the configuration of the device is as follows:

Each member has an IP address that individually is reachable by SNMP and ping (among others). Each pair has a virtual IP address - that does not respond to SNMP.

As soon as the device is grouped up into an HA pair only the primary device responds to pings and SNMP for the cluster. The other device is unpingable/monitorable until it becomes the primary.

My question is there a way to create an "HA" device that will have both IP addresses defined, but only use the one that is responding, and not mark the whole object as down?

ha-pair monitor snmp

Created on Jul 8, 2013 9:33:33 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid such HA-Devices with multiple IPs are not possible in PRTG. It would indeed be necessary to have 2 separate devices, where one would be in error state if this particular node is currently 'oflline'.

best regards.

Created on Jul 9, 2013 12:39:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.