What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Netflow 5 Sensor - Unable to add

Votes:

I'm trying to add a custom Netflow 5 sensor to our existing PRTG environment.

I have a working Netflow 5 sensor on one router (note that it's NOT custom), but I'd like to add the custom to a different router.

I've created it as instructed using the instructions in article: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/2143-can-i-add-custom-channels-to-standard-packet-sniffer-and-netflow-sensors

I've even just copy / pasted just the defaults in the article and it still fails.

What happens is when I click "Continue", the window closes immediately and goes back to my device list. Nothing happens. No new sensor shows up as added to the selected device, and I see nothing in the log files of the device either.

Any ideas what is going on?

custom-sensor netflow-sensor prtg13

Created on Jul 11, 2013 7:14:29 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, which exact version of PRTG are you using, and which browser when you try adding the sensor? Does this also happen if you leave the "Channel Definition"-Field entirely empty?

best regards.

Created on Jul 12, 2013 1:12:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I'm using the Windows PRTG Network Monitor Enterprise Console

Core Version / Console Version: 13.1.1.1266+

After seeing your message, I left the Channel Definition field empty, and it added the sensor.

So, can I assume this means, if the channel sensor has any errors, it won't add it to the device? If that's the case, why wouldn't there be some type of feedback to alert you?

The article that I referenced does state, "This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 7.x and 8" - I wonder if there is something different in this version?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Created on Jul 12, 2013 2:21:52 PM

Votes:

The article you linked to, still applies for PRTG 13. Please try this in the Ajax Webinterface with either Firefox or Chrome. Please also update to the latest version of PRTG, and then try it again in the Enterprise Console.

Created on Jul 15, 2013 12:04:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.