What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Actual bandwidth between 2 routers

Votes:

Hi Guys

I've just starting using PRTG. I setup netflow to monitor router traffic , but I really want to monitor bandwidth usage (as a % if possible) between 2 wan routers. I've configured netflow on the routers and im using the netflow version 5 probe and it's providing me with information - but whie this infromation is useful I would prefer to see how each interface is preforming rather than the router as a whole?

Is it possible ?

F

bandwidth cisco-router netflow-v5

Created on Jul 15, 2013 8:56:36 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

You would need to define specific filter parameters for this sensor. Please also referr to How do I discern excessive bandwidth usage with PRTG?

Created on Jul 15, 2013 12:40:58 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

You might also want to use SNMP Bandwidth sensors to monitor each interface rather than Netflow. Depends on what kind of data you desire. If you are looking for granular traffic flow then Netflow. If you are looking for in/out of an interface, then SNMP Bandwidth for said interface.

Created on Jul 15, 2013 9:26:02 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the replies.

Randolfini , what is the name of the probe you mention that I should try? I can't see any in the probes list called SNMP bandwidth?

Created on Jul 16, 2013 8:42:32 AM

Votes:

Fergieman,

Are these Cisco routers? Are they in two different locations? Is the link between them an MPLS or Internet?

Created on Jul 16, 2013 9:03:58 PM

Votes:

Hi Randolfini

Yes , 2 cisco routers in 2 different locations - it's an IPVPN .

Created on Jul 17, 2013 7:43:28 AM

Votes:

Thanks for the additional info.

To make sure we are on the same page in terms of PRTG terminology, a Probe is the polling server either locally or as a remote probe if in a remote site.

I am assuming you have both routers configured with SNMP and both added to PRTG for monitoring.

When you are at the router in PRTG, at the device level, add a sensor, filter by SNMP and then Bandwidth/Traffic. Below you should see SNMP Traffic sensor, click on that to add. Select the appropriate interface(s) and then continue on. This will allow you to monitor interface by interface for traffic volume. It does not, however, provide granular detail like Netflow.

You can configure Netflow to just a specific interface on each router to capture that. Then filter to the IPs of the router to see router to router traffic.

Created on Jul 17, 2013 2:46:43 PM

Votes:

Thanks. I did try to add that before , and did so again but I get a errors saying the no response - snmp error 2003

Could this be caused by the fact that I have a netflow sensor setup on the routers?

Created on Jul 18, 2013 12:07:41 PM

Votes:

No, sounds like you do not have SNMP configured on the router. Least configuration necessary is the below added to the configuration. snmp-server community string

This does not restrict it, you could apply an ACL to the end of the line of you wanted to restrict to certain hosts.

Lots of detail here, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf014.html

Probably too much, but it details it.

Created on Jul 19, 2013 12:34:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.