What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can i monitor oracle database services in prtg ?

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to monitor Oracle database services on linux server from PRTG. Can anyone tell me how do I do it ?

linux monitoring-database oracle

Created on Jul 16, 2013 9:22:22 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can monitor processes in Linux via the snmpd.conf configuration. List the process name in the snmpd.conf similar to the below. When you add the process(es) you can then add a sensor in PRTG, filter by SNMP, then choose SNMP Library with Basic Linux Library file. It will scan and it will list the processes in order you put them in snmpd.conf. Look for the process count in the name column and select those sensors. Then rename them and put limits on them for alerting.

proc smbd
proc nmbd
proc vsftpd
proc mysql-monitor-agent
proc redis-server
proc java

Created on Jul 17, 2013 5:32:09 PM

Last change on Jul 19, 2013 5:07:37 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

To tag onto my last past, I attempted to edit it to no avail. The processes have to be listed one per line, not how it is displaying.

Created on Jul 19, 2013 12:32:44 AM

Votes:

Did you try using the Oracle Sensor in PRTG towards the Linux Oracle target? Did you get any errors then?

Created on Jul 19, 2013 8:21:57 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, Thanks for your support but It would be helpful if you could provide the exact code for adding oracle database service (e.g. Db name is db123).

Created on Jul 19, 2013 9:27:27 AM

Votes:

It depends on what you are looking to monitor. Are you trying to confirm that the database PROCESS is running? Or are you testing connectivity to the Oracle database instance? Two different approaches.

What I documented covers the monitoring the database process. You can grep this out of running processes, do a top command and find it, multiple different ways.

If you are trying to test connectivity, then use the Oracle SQL Sensor, which will connect to both Unix and Linux Oracle. You need to create a user on the Oracle database and assign just enough permissions to run the SQL-expression. One expression that would test connectivity is select count(*) from sys.v_$session which returns DB Process Count.

Created on Jul 19, 2013 10:22:24 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.