What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Custom Sensor Output

Votes:

I have to monitor if our software has created certain files. I wrote a script on the server and the output of it is monitored through SNMP. If I set up a SNMP Custom String sensor, I can ask it to monitor if a certain string is there. If the string is not in the response, the sensor goes down and in displays "Error: String not found [Searchstring]"

Is there a normal way to display the string which is returned? Or a custom message?

I have found a dirty way: I created a SNMP Custom sensor and return a 1 as long as everything is alright and if not, the error is display like this: "Error 'responsestring' is not an integer".

It does the trick by displaying the response, but it's not how it's supposed to be.

prtg snmp snmp-custom-string-sensor

Created on Jul 18, 2013 1:02:28 PM

Last change on Jul 19, 2013 1:39:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

As of PRTG version 15.2.17.2345/2346, the SNMP Custom String Sensor shows the string you search for and which is the reason for a current Warning or Down status in the sensor message.

For example:

• Warning/Error: String not found [search text] in [content]
  • Warning/Error: Regular Expression [expression] does not match [content]
  • Warning/Error: String found [search text] in [content]
  • Warning/Error: Regular Expression [expression] matches [content]

Created on May 13, 2015 2:38:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post and this feedback. You are correct, in the moment the "SNMP Custom String"-Sensor doesn't show the result string if the "SearchString" is not found. We will put this on the list to be improved, but I can't say an ETA in the moment. Please bear with us, and use the very good work-around until then.

best regards.

Created on Jul 19, 2013 11:17:41 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

As of PRTG version 15.2.17.2345/2346, the SNMP Custom String Sensor shows the string you search for and which is the reason for a current Warning or Down status in the sensor message.

For example:

• Warning/Error: String not found [search text] in [content]
  • Warning/Error: Regular Expression [expression] does not match [content]
  • Warning/Error: String found [search text] in [content]
  • Warning/Error: Regular Expression [expression] matches [content]

Created on May 13, 2015 2:38:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.