What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

About Monitor the Sonicwall SMNP

Votes:

We are using PRTG to monitor the Sonicwall Interface bandwidth, traffic, CPU & Ram utilization, togther the ping time from our main office to the branch office.

We have only one firewall and one gateway. Thus, the ping time traffic must go through the firewall.

Yesterday, we found the PRTG shows that the Sonicwall Interface bandwidth, traffic, CPU & Ram utilization are disconnect at 10:04-10:06.

At the same time, the PRTG ping time from our main office to the branch office does not show any packet loss.

We checked with Sonicwall Log but no special event is found related to the PRTG server or SNMP.

We checked with the Sonicwall Sensor Log of PRTG and found the below event: No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)

Is that our Sonicwall had problem? How can we check with this issue?

Ivan

prtg-13 snmp-sensor sonicwall

Created on Jul 19, 2013 3:02:18 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

This could be that the something blocked the SNMP traffic requests from the PRTG server for that time or that the Sonicwall stopped responding to the requests due to it being overloaded.

Did those sensors come back up? How many scanning intervals were between? Did anyone change the configuration or reboot the device?

Created on Jul 19, 2013 11:34:55 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This issue happen again yesterday.

We are getting the following from Sonicwall: 1) CPU Usage 2) Memory usage 3) Bandwidth & Traffic of X0, X1, X2

Before, we only set monitor CPU USage and Memory usage.

Since last week, we add to monitor the Bandwidth & Traffic of X0, X1, X2 and then the issue of "Cannot collect data from Sonicwall" ocassionally happen.

Could you help that if the device is overload, how can we check it?

"Did those sensors come back up? How many scanning intervals were between? " Sorry I don't understand the question. How can I find the above details in PRTG?

Did anyone change the configuration or reboot the device? <-- Should be No

Ivan

Created on Jul 24, 2013 1:45:58 AM

Votes:

Dear Greg,

How can I check: Did those sensors come back up? How many scanning intervals were between?

For "Did anyone change the configuration or reboot the device?", that should be no one changing the configuration nor reboot the device.

Created on Jul 24, 2013 6:56:49 AM

Votes:

I only asked about the device being rebooted or the config changing because the device's ifIndex for SNMP can sometimes change when this happens and that will break the sensors so that they do not work anymore.

By asking if the sensors came back up, I was asking if the sensors were able to monitor after the initial problem and how long it took for them to start monitoring again if they did.

With the Sonicwall, depending on which OS you are running, you should be able to see what the CPU and memory usage are in the administrative interface under status or dashboard.

How often is PRTG not able to collect data and what is the specific error message that it's giving? What is the scanning interval for these sensors set to?

Created on Jul 24, 2013 8:52:29 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.