What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG install causes ping to fail

Votes:

After installing PRTG and going through the wizard to install sensors, several ping sensors would fail with "Paused by dependency". If I open a command prompt and attempt to ping these specific IP addresses they would fail.

I completely uninstall PRTG and the ability to ping returns and all works fine. I've tried it with a static ip address and a DHCP assigned address. My test computer is a Windows 7 64-bit with 8 GB of RAM.

Upon re-installing PRTG, the same problem returns. I cannot ping several IP address when the PRTG software is running. What could be the issue??

The devices I am attempting to monitor are Cisco Wireless AP's. The PRTG ping sensor works fine on some, but other IP's seem to be unavailable if the PRTG software is installed. Any ideas??

failure installation ping

Created on Jul 19, 2013 6:43:32 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

are there any VPN connections involved?

How do you reach the APs?

Created on Jul 21, 2013 7:02:43 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

while PRTG is running and the pings fail on the devices and in command line, please try to delete your arp cache.

Open the command line as an administrator and then use

arp -d

can you then ping the devices again?

Created on Jul 22, 2013 6:21:11 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I tried that today with this same problem on a fresh install and it did not work. The server in question is a fresh Windows Server IOT with no other applications installed and no VPNs.

If you would like to contact us and remotely look at the server that would be fine.

Thanks, Tom

Created on Jun 11, 2021 1:49:36 AM

Votes:

Hello Tom,

I would suggest that you open a support ticket for this issue. You can contact support from the PRTG web interface by going to Setup>Contact Support, or by sending a email to [email protected].

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 14, 2021 8:11:51 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.