What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Do I really have to install the whole Command View on the probe to use the EVA sensor?

Votes:

I would like to use the Enterprise Virtual Array sensor, but the manual states that it requires the Command View to be installed on the probe client. Is this really necessary?

command-view evaluation hp

Created on Jul 26, 2013 9:23:43 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Jul 29, 2019 5:42:03 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

11 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

You do not need to install the Command View on the remote probe. You can instead copy the sssu.exe file from your Command View installation to the probe system.

For PRTG to find this file, you must add an entry to the registry. Open the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\EnvironmentAdd a string value called CVEVA_HOME_DIR, and enter the path to the sssu.exe file. Make sure that the path has no backslash at the end.

Make sure that the sssu.exe file that you are using is as of version 10.0.0. Older versions might work too, but there could be problems, in particular if you use spaces in your system or group names.

If you do not know the version of the sssu.exe file, open a command prompt and run the following command:

sssu.exe ?

More

Created on Jul 26, 2013 9:35:58 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Jan 10, 2023 12:31:56 PM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, guys!

I had a trouble with this procedure. When I try to add the sensor, after I input the user and password, the following error appears:

Error opening https connection

I noticed that when I try to log on sssu, I have to input the name of the manager, which is our vCenter, and it logs successfully. But when I try to input "localhost" or just leave it blank, I had the same error above. I wonder if there is a place to input the manager or some way to iinput this parameter in the executable file.

Can you help me with it?

Created on Oct 22, 2015 1:54:08 PM

Votes:

Dear Peres

The sensor uses the device address set in the parent device. Please check which device address you set. If it points to the vCenter, the sensor normally should work.

Created on Oct 23, 2015 1:04:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello People,

I set up the regkey just as described and copied the sssu.exe (v. 10.3.0) to that exact location. When trying to add the sensor I receive the error "syntax error in SELECT MANAGER" (or similar). What can I do to fix this Problem? And should the correct address of the device be, the Command View Server or the EVA itself?

Thanks,

Dominik

Created on Jun 2, 2016 12:29:44 PM

Votes:

Dear whiskeyjack

The device address should point to the EVA itself.

Created on Jun 2, 2016 1:26:55 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply, Arne.

After changing the IP of the device back and forth, I don't seem to get it working properly. I still receive the error messange mentioned above, if I enter the wrong credentials or use a wrong IP-Address, I get an https connection error (which is okay due to the authent fail). Do you have any further idea on how to solve this issue?

Created on Jun 7, 2016 8:02:32 AM

Votes:

Dear whiskeyjack

Please contact [email protected], describe the issue and attach screenshots. We need a screenshot of

• the sensor overview tab
  • the sensor logs tab
  • the settings tab (multiple screenshots if necessary to cover all options.)

Please capture the whole PRTG user interface in any screenshot and attach them as file attachment (please don't copy images into the email body.)

Created on Jun 7, 2016 1:11:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Where to put sssu.exe? and how to enter the path format?

Created on Jul 4, 2017 6:45:11 AM

Votes:

Dear azlan

The file sssu.exe should be automatically installed, and its path written into the registry, when you install the HP Command View EVA Software.

Created on Jul 4, 2017 11:32:21 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne,

But we still need instal HP Command View ? compulsory?

Based on answer above: No, you don't. You can copy the "sssu.exe" from your Command View installation to the probe system. For PRTG to find it, you will need to add an entry to the registry aswell. Open the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment" and add a string value called "CVEVA_HOME_DIR" and enter the path to your sssu.exe. Make sure the path has no backslash at the end. Please make sure the sssu.exe you are using is version 10.0.0 or newer. Older versions might work, but we've encountered problems, especially if you use Spaces in your system or group names. If you don't know the version of your sssu.exe you can open a command prompt and run the command

Where to save sssu.exe?

Created on Jul 5, 2017 8:21:27 AM

Votes:

Dear azlan

If you manually put the sssu.exe somewhere, there is no predefined path. You can pick you own one. The important thing is to provide the PRTG probe that information. The probe will look at that registry key to find the path.

Created on Jul 5, 2017 11:02:43 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.