What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ignore sensor during auto-discovery

Votes:

I am considering PRTG for use with VMWare and have run into a problem. I have VM Templates in vCenter which are reported to PRTG as a VM, but with a Last Message of "Not Found" which causes the sensor to go into a down state. I've tried checking the box to ignore the fact that it is powered off, but ESX apparently reports the status differently for templates.

Can I force this sensor to ignore a down state? Alternatively, since I'm performing a nightly autodiscovery to learn new VMs that have been created, can I have the autodiscovery ignore or not create certain sensors? I've tried removing this sensor and it is recreated during discovery and goes back into an error state.

Since the VM is actually a template and is never powered on, I want to not monitor this sensor at all.

auto-discovery prtg template vmware

Created on Jun 14, 2010 7:07:27 PM

Last change on Jun 15, 2010 7:39:42 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Votes:

at the moment there is no solution for that issue.

we will improve VMware sensors in version 8 of PRTG.

Created on Jun 15, 2010 7:32:42 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Our solution has been to leave the template VM sensors in place but to pause them. This way we don't get errors and they are (usually) not re-discovered on the next auto run.

Created on Jun 21, 2010 2:36:04 PM

Votes:

Any update on this issue? I would prefer to not discover templates as there is nothing to monitor on them. I have several templates that i must consume a device count for that are chronically paused. Eliminating them from being discovered in the first place would resolve the issue.

Created on Apr 26, 2011 2:27:31 AM

Votes:

there is no update on this yet, sorry. Pausing the templates is still the best solution.

Created on Apr 26, 2011 8:44:58 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.