What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a new custom RAM alert?

Votes:

Hi,

I'm running PRTG, the latest Canary version. Thanks so much for the opportunity to run this for free - hopefully I can provide useful feedback.

I'm running it in an Amazon EC2 micro instance. Meaning that it only just has enough resources to chug along. This works well enough for me, as I don't need it to run fast but I do need it to be cheap. I've disabled all alerts on the local probe and this has worked fine up until now :)

However I'm now getting emails that don't look like any of the normal alerts,

Subject: "Warning: available RAM low on PRTG server computer!" Body: "WARNING!

The RAM available for PRTG is running low: only 292 MB are left. ..."

Is this a new safety thing? If so, can it be disabled?

Also, is this forum the right place for this? Or is there somewhere dedicated for the Canary/nighty builds?

Cheers, James

canary notifications ram

Created on Aug 6, 2013 5:30:01 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi James,
the alarm resp. email you are receiving is sent directly by the PRTG core not by any sensor. Also these warnings are implemented sincec PRTG 7. PRTG sends the same if only a certain amount of RAM is left which can be used by PRTG.
These warnings cannot be turned off as they are sent out when the stability of PRTG might be affected.
Best regards

Created on Aug 6, 2013 7:43:18 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply.

Personally, for the reasons described above, I think it would be good to be able to customise or disable these alerts. Especially as I don't think that 292 MB is really a worryingly low amount of RAM. However I understand that my situation is probably somewhat in the minority.

Cheers James

Created on Aug 8, 2013 6:42:58 AM

Votes:

Hi James,
I will bring this up at our next developer meeting but really cannot promise whether this will be changed or not, as for most users it is essential to know when the PRTG Core is about to run out of memory.

Created on Aug 8, 2013 6:45:46 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I don't know how many people are running PRTG on a virtual machine, but I suspect that there are plenty of us doing so. In these sorts of environments, the best VM performance is usually obtained by running the ship as tight and lean as possible--this means that we try to right-size RAM and processor resources to almost exactly the required level (at the machine's most busy time). Ironically, adding larger amounts of RAM to these VM's actually worsens their performance! The downside is that I get these spurious warnings from PRTG very frequently, even though the system is actually running very well, with solid performance. It sure would be great if there was something I could put in an .ini or .conf file that would tell PRTG that it is running on a VM, and so tight memory is an expected situation, and not something that needs to pop up every 5 minutes.

Created on May 23, 2017 8:11:41 PM

Votes:

taftosterone, thank you very much for your KB-Post. Currently it's not possible to disable the low memory alerts in any way. Because with we want to ensure the most important thing for PRTG; that is stable monitoring. We've made a lot of experiences ourselves and with customer installations, that the dynamic memory allocation on VM side is not quick enough for PRTG in peak situations.
That mans the fixed limit was and is necessary for VMs just as well as on physical machines.

Created on May 26, 2017 12:00:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.