What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Few newbie questions

Votes:

Hi,

I am using PRTG on my windows network. The tool looks good but some questions:

1) I'd like to use the "System Health" and "Core Health" probes on my normal member servers. I am told I need to have a probe device on this server. Does that mean the remote probe installer deployed on member servers? I did download this and it ends in an extension ending in a number? How is this installed?

What are the differences between probes and servers?

Thanks

prtg prtg-network-monitor prtg13

Created on Aug 6, 2013 11:34:57 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

You should be able to run the Remote Probe installer on the server directly without any other programs, it should end with .exe for the installer. You would need to install this to be able to have those sensor run on the machine but for most of the metrics that are in these health sensors, other than the overall "health" percentages, you can create normal sensors.

The difference between the "Probe" and the "Server" is that the Probe is the software running on the server itself that requests the data for all of the sensors and the server is referring to the web server and the software on the backend that displays the graphs and stores the data.

Created on Aug 6, 2013 4:06:43 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.