What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multi Ping

Votes:

I need to have a multi ping that pings two or three IP addresses. If all of these get no response then the sensor goes into a 'down' condition. This way I can use this sensor as a master object for dependencies.

A single ping failure is not a reliable indication of network availability.

Do you have any suggestions?

kind regards

Philip Bond Broadcom Ltd UK

multiple multiple-ping ping

Created on Aug 6, 2013 11:54:43 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
it is not possible to ping multiple IP addresses using the Ping Sensor of PRTG. This sensor only Pings the parent device due to general software architecture.
However, you might use single Ping Sensors and then aggregate them using the Sensor Factory Sensor. Then you can use the [[Factory Sensor as master object.
Best regards

Created on Aug 6, 2013 12:02:24 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would suggest just creating a simple batch file script that does the pings and the calculations for you, then returns 1 channel that is the desired number of pings that are working so you can put a limit on it to send you a notice when all aren't working, and then seperate channels for all the pings separated out to give you a better historical view of what is happening.

If you haven't done any custom sensors for PRTG I'd say this is a great one to start on and get use to their xml output, once you do it a few times you can make some much more detailed sensors that are much less system resource heavy then the Sensor Factory Sensors are generally.

Created on Aug 6, 2013 3:41:41 PM

Votes:

Konstantin Unfortunately it seems like you cannot use ping in factory sensors. See paessler's support statement about that: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/26113-how-to-calculate-uptime-for-a-ping-sensor-instead-of-downtime.

I am facing the same challenge and cannot find a way to make it work, unless I do a batch file which less robust. I need to make a group paused if two ping sensors are down (AND condition). I cannot use dependency as-is because it supports a single object only. I cannot use a factory sensor because it does not support ping I cannot use a business process because it is not available for a dependency.

Created on Mar 13, 2018 3:39:28 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

This is what we have built the Business Process Sensor for:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/business_process_sensor

Best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2018 8:38:58 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.