What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to monitor the copy of a file from one server to another ? and get the speed of the t

Votes:

Hi all

I want to know if it's possible to have the performance / speed of the copy of a file from one server to another ? and get the speed of this transfert ?

Thank you all

file prtg13 transfer

Created on Aug 7, 2013 9:51:40 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

The only way that you would be able to measure the overall speed of the transfer would be to set up a Windows Network Card sensor on the server sending and the server receiving the file and compare the results of the sensor to the normal results of the sensor. If the network card is usually using a bandwidth of 1kbit/s and it jumps to 150, you would know about the speed that it's being sent and vice versa for the server receiving the file.

Created on Aug 7, 2013 3:26:37 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you greg for your fast answer.

Unfortunately it's not pratical and I can't make long term report with those kind of calcul.

There is no way with file sensor or by custom powershell sensor ?

Created on Aug 7, 2013 5:26:00 PM

Votes:

You could create a custom EXE sensor with the powershell code

$time=Measure-Command -Expression {Copy-Item C:\filetocopy.txt C:\Wherefileiscopied}
write-host $time":ok"

That will give you an output of how long it takes to copy a file from one machine to another.

Created on Aug 8, 2013 2:23:19 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Greg, is it possible to have an example of custom advanced powershell script. i need to keep the result for my reports.

Created on Aug 8, 2013 3:33:07 PM

Votes:

You should be able to do this and you can also change the time from seconds to minutes with this as well. All you would need to do is change the line $time.seconds to $time.minutes or milliseconds.

$time=Measure-Command -Expression {Copy-Item C:\filetocopy.txt C:\Wherefileiscopied}
Write-Host "<prtg>"
Write-Host "<result>" 
"<channel>Transfer Time</channel>" 
"<value>"+ $time.seconds +"</value>" 
"</result>"
"<text>OK</text>"
Write-Host "</prtg>"

Created on Aug 9, 2013 1:20:12 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.