What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why can’t I see new sensor types in PRTG?

Votes:

Often, PRTG updates include several new sensor types as I can see in the release notes. But when I want to add them to my PRTG installation, I just cannot find these new sensors. Are they hidden or not available by default? Of course, I run the latest version of PRTG. What can I do to make new sensors visible and usable?

invisible new-sensors not-available not-found prtg sensor-types sensors update user-groups user-rights

Created on Aug 7, 2013 11:39:50 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 7, 2013 11:43:29 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13 or later

Making New Sensor Types Available

If you cannot see and add new sensor types after PRTG updates, the reason is most probably that you do not have the corresponding rights with your current user login. The permission to add new types of sensors is not given automatically to user groups—unless for the PRTG System Administrator group.

If you are not logged in as admin, ensure that you have the rights to create these sensors with your current login.

Checking User Group Rights Regarding Sensor Creation

In order to check the rights for sensor creation of dedicated user groups (and to allow creation of the same), please follow the steps below:

1. Login to PRTG as PRTG System Administrator.
  2. Choose Setup | System Administration | User Groups from the main menu bar.
  3. Open the settings of the group containing the user of interest by clicking on the name of the group.
  4. Look at the section Users May Create These Sensor Types. New sensor types will not be marked for user groups other than the administrator group.
  5. Mark the corresponding check boxes besides the new sensor types to allow adding these for this user group.
  6. Click on Continue.

Afterwards, users that are member of this user group will see the sensors that came with the latest PRTG update. Now they will be able to add these new sensor types to PRTG.

Created on Aug 7, 2013 11:42:56 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.