What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to have a AutoDiscovery create Paused sensors?

Votes:

During the process of setting up all devices, and watching servers for any new additions, I'd like to run a weekly autodiscover against all my network items, with the detailed sensor creation. But I need them to be created in the Paused state, so that I don't go over license, and I don't crush the PRTG machine.

I tried creating a schedule for No Monitoring, but that still pauses the auto discovery.

What I would like is basically a complete list of all machines, and all possible sensors for them, so that I can clone the item into the proper group, delete the un-needed sensors for that group, and activate the monitoring then.

autodiscovery paused sensor

Created on Aug 7, 2013 11:10:40 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid it is not possible to have the Auto-Discovery create paused sensors. I would recommend to work with the "Ping Sensor"-Template only for the first Auto-Discovery. Then move the "important" devices to the proper group and run another normal Auto-Discovery (standard mode, not with only a selected template) on those.

best regards.

Created on Aug 8, 2013 12:59:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Actually, found the way to do what I needed to do. I created a group, and set it up for the Autodiscovery, and then Settings, set the Number of Sensors Limitation to 1. That way the Autodiscovery runs, but all the sensors that it creates are created paused.

Created on Aug 8, 2013 7:20:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.