What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I change password complexity requirements for users?

Votes:

We have a standard username and password that we use for read only users in our network devices. I would like to use the same username and password for read only access to a general user population.

The password is 12 characters long, and has non - alphanumeric content but does not have an upper case or number in it.

I would like to use the same password.

How do I do this?

thank you, in advance,

Jim

password requirement user

Created on Aug 8, 2013 5:19:49 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Why not just connect your PRTG to your AD and use an AD user? That's what we did and we can then use our AD-defined complexity schema.

Created on Jan 14, 2015 3:12:20 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jim,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid the password complexity rule cannot be changed. Sorry.

best regards.

Created on Aug 9, 2013 12:59:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I can't tell you how annoyed I am about this. Not even one single way to override this? Can we hook into an external authentication system, such as LDAP? Not that I can see. So we're locked into one authentication model and a limited one at that.

As a software developer myself, the largest rule of thumb is "convenience the user!". Password complexity is an administrative prerogative and should be an option, not a requirement. For such a costly piece of software, i would have expected the ability to change this setting (as we can do in any other user security model) and we would rather you leave the password complexity design and the overall decision of weak or strong passwords up to the network administrator. Please give options - not requirements!

Created on Jan 23, 2014 1:46:59 AM

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your feedback. We really appreciate it! We've put an improvement to have a choice here on our list, and are considering different options right now. I can't share any details right now, please bear with us.

best regards.

Created on Jan 27, 2014 6:18:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Why not just connect your PRTG to your AD and use an AD user? That's what we did and we can then use our AD-defined complexity schema.

Created on Jan 14, 2015 3:12:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.