What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitpr Addaptec 7805

Votes:

I have new machines with Adaptec RAID 7805. There are no mib files. How I can moitor the RAID?

prtg raid snmp

Created on Aug 12, 2013 1:30:07 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

The first thing that you can do is use the SNMP tester to see if there are any OID's available to monitor and then research which ones mean which if you cannot find any MIB files. Also, it depends on what type of system these cards are running on to see if it might be possible to monitor it through the OS. Linked below is a pdf with directions on how to set up SNMP for the Adaptec RAID Devices. It looks like you will need the Adaptec Storage Management software installed.

http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/adaptec_storage_manager_v5_20_users_guide.pdf

Created on Aug 12, 2013 5:59:59 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, in the past this works for me, but for the new one 7805 there is not mib file an no snmp support available. The Storage Manager has gone an the software is now named "MaxView".

Any Ideas?

Created on Aug 13, 2013 6:35:00 AM

Votes:

Wow, I just read through the manuals and it definitely looks like they do not support SNMP that I can see anymore which is rather unfortunate. What it looks like you may be able to do through is to have the MaxView software write to the OS event log which you can then have PRTG monitor. Also, you may be able to have the software write logs and use a file sensor to monitor that but it seems that they really want you to use their monitoring software with that controller.

MaxView Manual

Event Log Sensor

File Content Sensor

Created on Aug 13, 2013 11:14:06 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here is the statement... http://ask.adaptec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17285/~/new-management-software-adaptec-maxview-storage-manager

now there is an CIM Server. Can PRTG use this? Seems to be such as WMI...

Created on Aug 13, 2013 1:29:51 PM

Votes:

It may be that this CIMOM is only for communicating with the controller and is not reporting anything to WMI but it may be possible that it creates a WMI class. Unfortunately we don't have this software or that type of RAID controller in house so you would need to search for it once you have the software installed or ask their tech support.

Created on Aug 13, 2013 2:17:20 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.