What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Layer 2 network map

Votes:

Does PRTG have an automatic method for making layer 2 network maps? I'm not a networking guy so I may be using the wrong terminology but what I'm looking for is a map/diagram that show the following:

Scenario 1 24 port switch 1 8 port switch

I want to know what physical port on the switches has them connected together and ideally automatically mapped for me. I mostly have manged Cisco switches but also some manged HP ones as well. If it could find unmanaged switches that sometimes get installed under a users desk that would be nice too.

maps prtg switch

Created on Aug 15, 2013 7:20:57 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Unfortunately PRTG has no way of knowing which switch is connected to which so creating an automatic graph is not possible. To create a graph with linked devices you would have to create the devices and link them manually and it's not possible to show which ports connect to the two devices unless you have a connector between the 2 port objects that you know they are connected with.

Unmanaged switches cannot really be discovered by PRTG since most of them don't have an IP address and you cannot ping them directly which is how PRTG finds devices on the network. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Created on Aug 16, 2013 1:18:28 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the quick response. Are there any plans for such a feature and if estimated release date? I would think that PRTG is collecting so much data already that this wouldn't be too much more to implement.

Created on Aug 16, 2013 1:37:06 PM

Votes:

Apologize for commenting on an older topic; but if you are looking for Layer-2 mapping for PRTG you can take a look at UVexplorer (www.uvexplorer.com) with PRTG integration.

UVexplorer will perform full network discovery and then allow for export devices and maps to PRTG. UVexplorer allows for exporting of maps to Microsoft Visio, SVG or PDF formats.

UVexplorer also supports scheduled discoveries to ensure that your PRTG maps are always "up-to-date".

Hope this helps.

Created on Sep 21, 2015 7:28:04 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.