What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My ADO SQL sensor doesn’t work anymore. Why?

Votes:

I changed the Service Account of the “PRTG Probe Service” on my Windows machine from “Local System” to a locally created account that is in the administrators group on the server. Now all my ADO SQL sensors have stopped working.

The error message is “Unknown Error (Code 5000000)”.

Why are my adosql sensors broken?

ado ado-sql-sensor code-5000000 probe-service prtg unknown-error

Created on Aug 16, 2013 1:38:10 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

The Reason for ADO SQL Sensor Errors after Changing Service Account

If you have changed the service account of the PRTG Probe Service and then encounter stopped ADO SQL sensors, this problem is probably caused by the following:

There must not be set any TEMP or TMP environment variables for the user account the PRTG Probe Services uses.

If you log into the server running the service as a (local) user, take a look at the environment variables of the user. By default, TEMP and TMP variables are set which point to the user profile. But because the user profile will not be loaded automatically with the service login, PRTG’s requests to TEMP folders fail.

The OLE-DB driver creates a temporary file in the directory specified by one of these variables. If the directory does not exist nor has the permissions, then it will not work for a common user.

Created on Aug 16, 2013 1:39:36 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.