What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Not able to monitor internet link through firewall

Votes:

hi,

Currently we are monitoring all the links on our switch using PRTG.

But after implementing ASA firewall, we are not able to get the details of the internet line.

But the internet line can be pinged, just that no data can be seen.

thanks Vivk

asa firewall prtg

Created on Aug 18, 2013 3:52:28 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

In the ASA is SNMP enabled? To check this out, you can use the SNMP tester that we have on our site. If you are able to read the SNMP uptime, then SNMP is likely enabled and you should be able to scan the interfaces and read the values for your ports.

Once you are able to scan the interfaces, you should be able to add an SNMP bandwidth sensor to get that data into PRTG.

Created on Aug 19, 2013 2:52:20 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi,

I wasnt monitoring the firewall.

the internet link connects to the firewall and then firewall is connected to the L3 switch.

So in order to get the details of the internet link, should I be monitoring the ASA outside link?

thanks Vivek

Created on Aug 20, 2013 4:02:34 AM

Votes:

ok, YEs, I had setup SNMP on ASA, and now I am able to monitor the link.

thanks Vick

Created on Aug 20, 2013 5:06:12 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.