What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traffic sensors and PRTG API

Votes:

Hi,

I am currently testing PRTG Network Monitor (evaluation version). The goal is to control bandwidth on all routers present on our internal network. And so we would like to be able to automatically add/modify/delete SNMP Traffic sensors with an external program using the PRTG API.

If I want to add a new SNMP traffic sensor in PRTG, I have to use an already defined sensor and clone it, and then modify its parameters. But I didn't find a way to modify the interface number to be monitored by the sensor. Is there any? Or must I use an external program to measure bandwidth and use a custom sensor instead of the PRTG SNMP traffic sensor?

I don't want to monitor all interfaces of the router, that's why I'd like to find a way to add SNMP traffic sensors one by one, using the interface number.

Thanks, Jerome

api prtg sensors snmp traffic

Created on Jun 17, 2010 2:53:41 PM

Last change on Jun 18, 2010 6:19:56 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

2 Replies

Votes:

Single sensors can not be created through the API. Cloning a sensor and changing settings is the right way to go.

The interface number that a traffic sensor is monitoring is within the OID. It is usually the last number in the OID

Created on Jun 18, 2010 4:59:42 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 18, 2010 6:20:19 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks for your answer.

So a solution would be to define a custom sensor using an external program measuring bandwidth. This program will take as arguments the interface number of the port to be monitored.

When cloning this sensor to add a new port to monitor in the system, I will have to edit the command line arguments, giving the corresponding interface number.

A drawback of this solution is that I have to define two sensors: one to monitor BW In, one to monitor BW Out, as custom sensors can't handle multiple channels.

Any ideas of another possible (and easier) solution?

Thanks,

Jerome

Created on Jun 18, 2010 8:37:25 AM

Last change on Jun 18, 2010 9:45:47 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.