What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Applying a custom SNMP sensor to multiple devices

Votes:

Hi folks, We're testing out PRTG Network Monitor and so far we're completely impressed. I'm trying to set up some new sensor types for wireless access points and receivers - we run a WISP and have dozens of backhauls where we need to keep an eye on signal strength. I think I've managed to import the MIBs for Mikrotik, and I've created a "Custom SNMP sensor" on one device which is tracking signal and I've set triggers to alert when signal hits a certain threshold. How do I take this configuration and apply it to several dozen devices without having to manually enter the MIB every time? Is there a way to make a new sensor type like this appear for any devices that are automatically added?

On a related note, Mikrotik wireless interfaces often increment the interface number so I'd need a potential sensor to scan the device for wireless interfaces (perhaps it sees a signal MIB which denotes it as wireless) then chooses that number of interface to create the sensor. For example on one device the wireless interface MIB is : iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrWireless.mtxrWlStatTable.mtxrWlStatEntry.mtxrWlStatStrength.4 while the next device might have iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrWireless.mtxrWlStatTable.mtxrWlStatEntry.mtxrWlStatStrength.5 , etc.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

mikrotik snmp wireless

Created on Aug 20, 2013 8:55:02 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

To have this sensor created for other devices that are similar you could set up a Device Template and the Custom SNMP sensor will be created when you use this template in conjunction with Auto-Discovery.

The index changing does present a problem though. The custom SNMP sensor cannot parse through tables to find index numbers and so the Custom SNMP sensor will only work for a specific OID unfortunately.

What you may try is to import the MIB with the wireless signal strength OID with the MIB importer utility and select only the OIDs you want to monitor and create an OID Library from that. Take that library and create an SNMP Library sensor with it and that may be able to find the changing indexes.

MIB Importer

SNMP Library Sensor

Created on Aug 22, 2013 12:31:00 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.