What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Services at High Availability/Failover cluster

Votes:

Hello,

I've asked this a few years back through mail, but at that time there were no features that could solve my problem, but since we are 6 versions further now I hope there is a solution.

We have multiple high-availability/failover clusters here (not a PRTG failover setup, but failover servers). We can reach the currently active server with the name system-msq-pcls.

When I add system-msq-pcls to PRTG, it seems to look for the IP-address that is currently attached to that name.

When we move our services to the other nodes on the failovercluster, we can reach that server through the same name, but PRTG seem to be cashing the IP-address that was attached when I added it, which leads to all the services being down while they are not down. Is there a solution to make PRTG look for the hostname instead of the IP?

As a work-around I thought of adding both servers of the clusters separately. But then I need to auto-acknowledge/pause an alarm if the service is UP at the other server, but I don't know it how set this up, if that's even possible.

I hope someone can help me with my questions.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

auto-acknowledge cluster failover hostname

Created on Aug 22, 2013 7:02:40 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Which exact sensors are you referring to? And what kind of OS is running on this cluster?

best regards.

Created on Aug 22, 2013 2:53:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Torsten,

Mostly it's about WMI Service Sensor. The OS on the Servers is Windows Server 2008 R2.

So the services run on the cluster (system-msq-pcls). When I go with rdp to that cluster, it always goes to the active server with the UP services, but PRTG seem to store the IP of the active server when it's added, which results in alarms for services being down when we switch the failovercluster to the other node.

- Brian

Created on Aug 23, 2013 6:37:55 AM

Votes:

Brian, the only real alternative I see would be using SNMP to monitor the Windows Cluster. The "problem" with WMI Sensors lies in the mechanism, how WMI (not PRTG!) builds connections. These base on the MAC-Address, and that is the reason why the WMI Sensors then fail with a cluster switch.
SNMP should not have that problem, if you run the sensors against the Cluster-IP/Hostname.

Created on Aug 23, 2013 9:06:43 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.