What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Storage reporting on used disk space

Votes:

I have tried to setup a "used space reporting" on different klient that we monitor.

then we can show the trend for customer of how much diskspace they are using and growing each month. BUT also telling us as a service provider when to start to look for more disk storage and inform customer about the expansion.

I am using the WMI Multi disk sensor that also includes a "Total" with the id of "-1"

Then i am trying to use the Sensor factory to calculate the "used space" of a server. this is easy on a server with one disk to get the wmi of the logicaldisk size minus the free space.

But it is not possible to use the id "-1" in sensor factory.

It seems also very manaully task for each server and wondering if there is a way to do this a clever way. all the details are in the system it is just a matter of showing the details.

Let me know if others have same problem or in same situation to generate a storage report.

Regards Poul

prtg reporting storage wmi

Created on Aug 22, 2013 8:21:28 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid apart from using Factory Sensors with the individual channels added (instead of the total channels), I can only recommend to gather the data yourself using the PRTG API (Setup->PRTG API), and then calculate the storage report externally.

best regards.

Created on Aug 22, 2013 3:37:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 22, 2013 3:37:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.