What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can i monitor the Status of a Draytek Firewall?

Votes:

Hi, i'm using the trial of PRTG for a few days now and i'm really impressed. But i have the question if and how it's possible to monitor the Status of a Router Firewall. I only want to know if it is up or down.

draytek firewall monitor

Created on Aug 23, 2013 9:37:33 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

for up and downtime simply add a ping sensor to the device in PRTG.

If you want to monitor the traffic interfaces, enable SNMP on the device and add SNMP traffic sensors for the device.

!! PRTG uses SNMPv2 by default on newlycreated devices !!

make sure that the device supports that or switch to SNMP v1 in the device settings in PRTG

Created on Aug 23, 2013 10:02:40 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Maybe i am wrong but if i ping the router, where the firewall is activated and somebody needs to shut down the firewall, the ping will be still the same? The problem here is, that it is a franchise business and each store has its own firewall on its own router. We are just VPNconnected to those routers. So normaly the firewall is UP and they can only surf on selected business sharing websites. But sometimes we have to open the firewall to download stuff 4 them and close it after. What i try to get is a warning, that the firewall is still open.

Sorry for my bad english.

Created on Aug 23, 2013 12:24:49 PM

Votes:

Maybe you can monitor the status of the firewall with a custom OID.

What routers are you using?

Created on Aug 28, 2013 11:41:56 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.