What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No such object (SNMP error #222) from local probe computer

Votes:

All custom SNMP sensors monitoring certain hardware components of an HP Proliant server are returning SNMP error #222. This is the same computer running the local probe. Also, if I use SNMPTester 5.1 to interrogate some of these custom OID sensors, I get an empty value with SNMP v1 and error #222 with SNMP version 3.

On this same PC, PRTG is correctly reporting other local custom OIDs even though these ones are all internally created OIDs and not defined by HP.

Is there some configuration that will restrict the local probe from reading its own hardware? Any other thing I can check?

error-222 oid snmp

Created on Aug 23, 2013 4:45:54 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

On the local probe computer do you have the necessary HP software installed to create the OID' s that you are trying to query? Also, have you set up the SNMP agent to allow PRTG to request that information from the software? HP Proliant Monitoring

SNMP HP ProLiant System Health Sensor - Please note that HP System Management Tools needs to be installed on the server.

Check this guide for how to configure the SNMP agents for Windows and the HP System Management Tools software. - HP Insight Management Agents Installation Guide

Created on Aug 26, 2013 12:05:55 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Craig, we sorted this out. thanks. In addition to the above solution you posted, we also had another custom SNMP Agent running on port 161 causing port contention. When we stopped our custom service, we were able to monitor all HP sensors on the probing server.

Created on Aug 26, 2013 2:40:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.