What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to create a group directly under the Probe via the API?

Votes:

I'd like to create a group directly under the Probe in the group hierarchy, but I can't figure out what to specify for "targetid" in the API.

api configuration groups

Created on Aug 26, 2013 10:06:35 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

The target ID would be the ID number of the probe itself. When you click on a probe, at the upper right hand corner there will be the ID# like below.

Probe ID

Large Size

Created on Aug 27, 2013 11:56:41 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it possible to get the ID of the probe through the API by searching it's name?

Created on Aug 27, 2013 3:49:38 PM

Votes:

All of the calls through the API require that you use the ID of the sensor / group / device since they can be named similarly in PRTG.

Created on Aug 28, 2013 8:30:59 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Using /api/table.htm?filter_name=[name of thing], it's possible to get the ID of group/device/sensor through the API. I don't see an option to get a list of probes through in the API docs, so I was wondering if there's another way get the ID of a probe via the API.

Created on Aug 28, 2013 3:27:05 PM

Votes:

The call would actually be /api/table.xml?filter_name=probe device which would give you a list of the probe devices but the ID's are not included in there.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <>
   <prtg-version>13.3.6.2768</prtg-version>
   <item>
    <group>RemoteProbe2</group>
    <device>Probe Device</device>
    <sensor/>
    <status>Up </status>
    <status_raw>3</status_raw>
   </item>
   <item>
    <group>RemoteProbe</group>
    <sensor/>
    <status>Up </status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <group>Local probe</group>
    <sensor/>
    <status>Up </status>
   </item>
  </>

Created on Aug 30, 2013 9:46:17 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 30, 2013 9:47:05 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.