What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to set disk space notifications on individual disks (same server)?

Votes:

We're monitoring disk space on our servers, via WMI. I'm wondering if it's possible to have an alert value of, say, less than 5GB free space for C: that triggers an alert, while having a higher limit (say 50 GB) for D: drive? I know I can set the "check values" data, but it appears that I can only set it for a single drive, or for "all drives".

Thanks,

Bill

disk disk-free limits notifications prtg volume wmi

Created on Jun 18, 2010 1:47:25 PM

Last change on Jun 18, 2010 2:23:54 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 7.x

Monitoring Free Disk Space using WMI

In PRTG, there are two different sensors available for monitoring free disk space via WMI:

1. WMI Disk Free sensor
  2. WMI Volume sensor (Windows Vista and higher)

WMI Disk Free sensor

Using WMI Disk Free sensor you can monitor multiple disks; the data of each disk will be provided in different channels of the sensor. Please use the limits in the sensor's Settings tab to set limits for all monitored drives, or use the Channel tab to set limits for each of the monitored drives separately. In both cases, the sensor's status will be changed when limits are reached. Use the Notifications tab to trigger a notification for a certain sensor status.

WMI Volume sensor

Using WMI Volume sensor, you can monitor one single drive or one logical volume on Windows Vista or higher; you will add one sensor for each disk. Please use the sensor's Channel tab to set limits for the monitored drive. The sensor's status will be changed when limits are reached. Use the Notifications tab to trigger a notification for a certain sensor status.

Created on Jun 18, 2010 2:21:33 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jun 18, 2010 2:24:28 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks, that works nicely (via WMI Disk Free Sensor).

Bill

Created on Jun 18, 2010 2:37:50 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.