What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Reverse Lookup and IP

Votes:

Hello,

I made an autodiscovery of a whole subnet. It returned me a list of devices with their hostnames (where reverse lookup was able to solve them). I am satisfied of the result but I need, if possibile, to know the IP of the device too.

Pinging the hostname using the FQDN works fine when returning the IP address, but whenever I find devices without the AD domain appended i am not able to ping them. For some reason i am unable to get the ip address of those devices having only the hostname. The customer gave us only VPN access to the PRTG server, so I don't have full network access. I hope the PRTG shows somewhere, in the web interface, the IP of the device along with the hostname after an autodiscovery.

Thanks

address autodiscovery hostname

Created on Aug 28, 2013 9:32:32 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

for this case, please change the option "Name Resolution" on the settings page of the Auto-Discovery to "Use IP addresses".

After the next Auto-discovery, you can see the IP address on the overview tab of the device.

Best regards, Michael

Created on Aug 28, 2013 1:03:00 PM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Last change on Aug 28, 2013 1:03:22 PM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Votes:

Hi Michael,

About your answer, does that mean I need to run Auto-discovery again to obtain the device IP addresses?.

I'm having the same issue as the user above, I added a few devices with "Automatic device identification (detailed...)" and I think I ended up with some of them added twice, but I can't see their IP addresses to determine if in fact they are the same.

Running Auto-Discovery again would be very inconvenient for me, is there another way to find out about a device's IP address?

Thanks!

Created on Jan 19, 2015 7:28:59 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.