What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

High CPU Load on Probe - Every Day Recurring

Votes:

Similar to the issue posted here:

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/54083-high-cpu-on-local-probe-every-afternoon

My CPU health probe goes up to 90% utilization for about 10 minutes every day at about 5:20PM until 5:30PM. Of course I get sent the High CPU alerts but for the life of me I can't figure out what's spiking it every afternoon. Normal CPU load throughout the day is about 30%.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Running the latest Stable release, have about 500 sensors running, and still in the tweaking / deployment stage.

cpu-load local-probe prtg

Created on Aug 29, 2013 9:38:10 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

which possess is causing the load? Can you check in Taskmanager?

Created on Aug 30, 2013 8:28:02 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm usually driving home after work when this is occurring, so I have never put eyes on the Task Manager when it occurs. I just see the alert and can check the past week's worth of logs to see that it regularly re-occurs. I really have no idea what it can be, it's a very basic Windows 2008R2 box that doesn't even have anti virus or backup software installed on it yet (as I said, we're still testing out PRTG).

Created on Aug 30, 2013 10:10:59 PM

Votes:

can you add a WMI process sensor to your local probe device for the

prtg probe and the prtg server process?

Then you could check if either one of these is causing the load.

Are you running any scheduled auto discoveries every day or scheduled reports that would cause extra load on the system?

Created on Sep 3, 2013 8:23:10 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.