What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor the fragmentation status of a harddisk?

Votes:

Using the Windows Defragmentation tool, I can analyze my harddisk and generate a report on its fragmentation status.

I would like to show this information in PRTG. How can I do this?

fragmentation harddisk sensor

Created on Aug 30, 2013 7:35:09 AM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF.VolumeFragXML

This is possible with Custom Sensor PTF.VolumeFragXML

PTF.VolumeFragXML checks the fragmentation status of your Windows Logical Disk and returns info about:

Defrag Recommended
Total fragmentation %
File fragmentation %
Free space fragmentation %
Total fragmented files
Total excess fragments
Average fragments per file

The sensor is available at: http://prtgtoolsfamily.com/?page=downloads_sensorsxml.html

See also the Live Demo at our Facebook Page.

Created on Aug 30, 2013 7:52:00 AM

Votes:

Hello, this sensor can't get account credentional from parent device. It works only if I manually enter login/password at parameters, but it's not secure keep open passwords. Does somebody try to fix it?

Created on May 28, 2014 7:48:27 AM

Votes:

The Windows Volume Fragmentation Sensor is now directly integrated into PRTG. It will then inherit the Windows Credentials from the parent device / group.

best regards.

Important note: The WMI Volume Fragmentation sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details and possible alternatives:

Created on May 28, 2014 7:52:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 22, 2016 5:02:43 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Which version has this sensor? In our 13.2.3.2235 there's no Windows Volume Fragmentation Sensor.

Created on May 28, 2014 12:01:32 PM

Votes:

Current version 14.2.10.

Created on May 28, 2014 12:18:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If you still want to use your current sensor, you can use the PassHash Tool to encrypt your password, preventing it from being visible in plain text.

Created on May 28, 2014 12:29:53 PM

Votes:

Thnx a lot. We are upgrade to 14 version.

Created on May 30, 2014 6:24:45 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.