What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Event Log Sensor Don't Work

Votes:

Hi There,

I Would like to monitor errors in SBS servers regarding Windows Backup.

When I Use both WMI or Windows API Event log sensors both don't work with only the "Filter on Source" selected at "Backup". Nothing will show up when I create an error. When I enter no Source the event log shows me every last log entry in the log file. I even tried this with ID's. When I filter on ID 546 its shows me also nothing.

So the sensor works, but it doesn't work with enabled filters.

Am I doing something wrong? Or forgetting something?

Thanks so far.

Greetings Michaël.

api backup eventlog prtg sbs wmi

Created on Sep 3, 2013 11:48:56 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Have you double checked that the log file that is set in the sensor and in the event type field that you specified the correct type?

Also, these sensors are somewhat different in that when there is an event, the New Records /s can be very low. Since this is a division of the amount of events by the seconds in the scanning interval, you will sometimes see values of <.001. If you want to test this easier and see if the sensor is in fact picking these up but is showing a low value, you can do this by running the command below.

eventcreate /ID 1 /L APPLICATION /T INFORMATION /SO MYEVENTSOURCE /D "My first log"

This will create a new event source named "MYEVENTSOURCE" under APPLICATION event log as INFORMATION event type for example.

Created on Sep 5, 2013 1:34:25 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thnx for your reply Greg.

Mybe this is a stupid question but where do I need to run this Command?

I have made both Events on one server. The only thing I change:

type --> Error Source --> Backup

But when I only change the type to error it will show me the "OK" status. When I disable the type, It gives me the last event in the eventlog.

Greeting Michaël.

Created on Sep 5, 2013 1:52:10 PM

Votes:

The command should be run on the server that is being monitored for those events. The sensor will always show an OK status unless you specify in the sensor itself that you want it to have an error limit on the new records channel.

This sensor is not designed to go into an error state when it detects one of these events. You have to define the channel limits to trigger an error state when the value goes above 0 to have the sensor change status when there is an event and you will likely need to have this value set to less than 1 as noted in the previous post.

Created on Sep 6, 2013 10:43:39 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.