What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What mean error code "SNMP error # -2003"

Votes:

For several days we have at the same time an error on one of our Cisco 6509 core switches. This error occurs day after day between 22:07 to 22:15 on SNMP sensors.

error-2003 prtg snmp

Created on Sep 10, 2013 11:22:51 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi, does the error appear and disappears without any impact? Is the error on all SNMP sensors of the device or only on a specific Sensor? Is the connection to the switch directly over ethernet or over the Internet?

Created on Sep 10, 2013 1:59:24 PM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Votes:

from my point of view ... Yes, the error affects all SNMP sensors on the device, the switch is connected directly via Ethernet

Colleagues who diagnosed the problem suggested a switch is heavy load of SNMP requests - 100 per second

Created on Sep 11, 2013 8:30:29 AM

Votes:

100 SNMP requests per second? Where do they come from? Which Scanning-interval do you have in PRTG?

Maybe is the SNMP service overloaded. The switch is not configured to restart at this time?

Created on Sep 11, 2013 9:12:39 AM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Votes:

SNMP requests come form PRTG, Netcrunch and inventory tools Cisco Prime . I have 326 sensors on the switch. Scan interval is set to 5 min.

I deactivated monitoring of the device for time of inventory scan and that help.

Created on Sep 19, 2013 2:07:33 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.