What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Content Sensor (Line Feed vs Carriage Return)

Votes:

I am attempting to monitor a tomcat log file (catalina.out) running on a linux server. When using the File Content Sensor and searching for a simple string such as "error" PRTG returns the entire log file in the message, not just the line it occurred on (the goal). When testing with a file created in windows it returns the proper single line.

This leads me to presume that PRTG is expecting a carriage return in the file and not linux line feed. Short of converting the log file before scanning can prtg work with line feed?

Thanks everyone!

carrage-return file-content-sensor line-feed prtg13

Created on Sep 11, 2013 6:15:09 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

I opened a ticket with development to take a look into seeing if this sensor can be changed to allow for Linux line breaks. I'll post the results here.

Created on Sep 13, 2013 11:28:10 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, this would be a very helpful feature.

Created on Sep 16, 2013 12:58:22 PM

Votes:

Unix line breaks were integrated a month ago just to let you know.

Created on Dec 23, 2014 2:16:01 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.