What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Downtime channel use

Votes:

I do not understand the downtime channel of the ping sensor. My router is on the same switch as my server hosting PRGT. The average ping time is 2ms but I show a downtime average of about 10.5ms. My graph for this is full of red lines which seem to sit on top of the green, indicating no non-responses from ping.

I have another site which I connect via VPN and am also monitoring. That router shows a downtime average of 2.7ms with an average response time of 13ms.

If I am having communications issues with my local router, then my remote should be worse. What is the downtime showing me?

Thanks

alerts channel sensor

Created on Sep 20, 2013 8:56:24 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, for a better understanding, could you please upload some illustrating screenshots showing the issue? Thank you.

best regards.

Created on Sep 23, 2013 9:04:00 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Asking me to post images seems like that would become another issue, I don't understand how to do that on this board. If you look at a sensor setup for Ping Time there are two channels: Downtime and Ping Time. If you look at graphs, there are two lines with different colors; red for downtime % and green for ping time (msec). My graphs for a two day shows almost equal red and green lines. Ping times lines spike between .0 and .7, which I can understand. Downtime lines from 0 to 100%, most are around 50%, which I don't understand. Furthermore, looking at the 5 minute table there are 3 columns: Ping Time; DownTime and Coverage. At 7:25 - 7:30 I see: 0 msec, 0% and 100%. At 7:30 - 7:35 I see 0 msec; 19% and 100%. This entry has a red highlight on it. How can I have only a 19% downtime and 100% coverage for one 5 minute period without my network really being down? Hope this helps explain things better.

Created on Sep 23, 2013 1:29:22 PM

Votes:

You can also send the images via email to us.

Created on Sep 24, 2013 9:31:47 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.