What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Fail to start probe

Votes:

Hello,

I found that one of my probe was stopped. So, I tried to start it. But I got an error:

[Window Title] PRTG Probe Administration Tool

[Content] PRTG Probe Service could not be started: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

[OK]

Also, I saw endless dialogbox popup: [Window Title] Prtg probe administrator

[Content] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

[OK]

Do I have to reinstall this probe?

Regards, Il Mo Jung

popup probe start-failure

Created on Sep 23, 2013 4:06:44 PM

12 Replies

Votes:

Are you able to stop and start the probe manually, from Window's Service Manager? If not, I would suggest killing the task and reinstalling the probe. If that does not work, please open a ticket by sending an email to [email protected]. Please also forward us your log files for analysis.

Created on Sep 23, 2013 7:04:54 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

PRTG service can be started manually from Windows' service manager. What would be the difference between starting from services.msc and from PRTG admin console?

Created on Sep 23, 2013 9:23:34 PM

Votes:

Once it is started properly from the Service Manager, are you able to stop and start the service via the Administration tool?

Created on Sep 24, 2013 9:14:41 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Yes, I can.

Created on Sep 24, 2013 2:19:46 PM

Votes:

Is it working properly now, then?

Created on Sep 24, 2013 2:22:35 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Yes, it is. Which condition can cause this?

Created on Sep 24, 2013 2:24:16 PM

Votes:

To be honest, this should not really happen, particularly not if stopping / restarting the probe externally then fixes the issue. In order to check if we can discern what the problem was, please forward us your log files as outlined under How can I upload log files to Paessler support team? referring to this thread. Please forward both the core and the probe server log files.

Created on Sep 24, 2013 2:32:28 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

What is the ticket number for this issue?

Created on Sep 24, 2013 2:52:17 PM

Votes:

Send us a mail to [email protected] with reference to this thread - that way a ticket will be opened and you will receive an automatic response including the ticket number.

Created on Sep 24, 2013 2:56:21 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Except for minor entries that would not cause this issue we cannot directly identify anything that would have caused this problem. Have you experienced this issue since? If not, our guess would be this was a coincidental hangup and would ask you to watch this and let us know if the issue happens again.

Created on Sep 30, 2013 12:52:00 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

At least, I think that the code part which might cause endless popup: [Content] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

should be re-checked. I will report if the same case is found. Thank you.

Created on Sep 30, 2013 1:15:55 PM

Votes:

This seems to have been more of a result of the hangup than the cause, reason why it unfortunately does not yield information as to what made the service not start properly. And yes, please let us know if you experience the issue again.

Created on Sep 30, 2013 1:18:03 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.