What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SOAP/XML Response

Votes:

Is there a built in sensor that can send an XML request and monitor the results? We want to monitor our webservices and make sure they're working end to end, which requires validation of the response.

Example:
Send xml
<service>
  <User ID>
    <Validate User>
etc...

Response
<User ID>
<Token> GUID </token>
</User ID>

We want to validate that GUID is returned and not missing.

post soap xml

Created on Sep 23, 2013 6:12:36 PM

Last change on Sep 24, 2013 1:12:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid such a sensor is not available in the moment in PRTG. We do have this on the wishlist, and so, please consider your vote counted. All I can suggest would be doing this with a Custom Exe/Script-Sensor.

best regards.

Created on Sep 24, 2013 1:13:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Torsten,

Do you know if this sensor has been made available in the past 6 months? We also would like to monitor our web services based on soap/xml requests. We are not well known how to configure the Custom Exe/Script so we'd really like to monitor web services with out-of-the-box prtg functionality.

Created on Apr 15, 2014 9:24:53 AM

Votes:

Hi,
no the sensor is still on the wishlist but implementation has not started. So if you are in need of such sensor I would really recommend using a Custom Sensor.
Best regards

Created on Apr 15, 2014 11:28:52 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

We are just about to purchase a 500-sensor license for PRTG and would be very interested to get this functionality working.

The most recent reply to this thread is just over a year old, so I was wondering if there'd been any more news on a specific SOAP sensor?

I have also noticed that the XML restrictions on the HTTP Advanced Sensor appear to have been lifted - can I now use this sensor to POST SoapAction requests to my web services and create sensor output based on the response? All of the settings in the sensor configuration page appear to support this, but I have not been able to get it working so far.

Many thanks

Tom

Created on May 18, 2015 2:34:23 PM

Votes:

Hello Tom. I've checked and since there aren't many requests for this the development of this feature has been halted for now, we can't confirm that it is still going to be released.

Thanks,

Created on May 21, 2015 2:48:56 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello,

strange and sorry to read that. We're also looking for SOAP monitoring!

Reg. Andreas

Created on Jun 24, 2015 3:56:06 PM

Votes:

Hello Andreas,
I've added your vote to our wishlist, but as said before, we can't confirm that it is still going to be released.

Created on Jun 25, 2015 12:37:39 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

You can test the availability and response time of a WSDL or SOAP service with an HTTP Advanced sensor. For details, please see this article:

Created on Oct 26, 2015 10:39:38 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Gerald,

Thanks so much for your reply!! This is exactly what we were after.

We no longer need to maintain custom EXE Powershell scripts to test our Soap applications; we can just use the HTTP Advanced Sensor

Thanks again Tom

Created on Nov 17, 2015 10:41:38 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.