What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why is report generation so slow?

Votes:

I have a PRTG server with about 1200 sensors. 300 of them are ping When I generate a report (Ex Top 100 Fastest/Slowest PING Sensors) It is generating the report on a 24hour period and 5 minute averages. It takes a long time to produce the web page (4 minutes).

During this time the CPU and disk utilization on the PRTG server is moderate.

The server is

• Dell PowerEdge Server
  • Two Intel Nahalem 2.0Ghz CPU cores
  • 2 GB DDR2 ECC RAM
  • 150 GB RAID iSCSI attached Fiber Channel Disk
  • Windows 2008 server

PRTG is the only application on this server

generation prtg reports slow

Created on Jun 22, 2010 1:18:48 PM

Last change on Jun 22, 2010 2:37:30 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

9 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In version 7 the report generator has not yet been fully decoupled from the web interface. This will be the case in the next major version, due in summer 2010.

Until then, please have a look at this article:

How can I speed up PRTG - especially for large installations?

Created on Jun 22, 2010 2:41:54 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

So will the the speed/web browser of my client computer affect the report generation time? What about the speed of my connection from client computer to server? Is 4 minutes normal or excessive?

Created on Jun 23, 2010 12:16:20 PM

Votes:

Reports are generated on the PRTG core server and then—as in your case—the resulting report is delivered in an HTML page to the client computer that is connected via the web interface. The performance of the client computer does not affect the report generation, nor does the client connection speed significantly delay the delivery of the report. With the next major version, performance for report generation shall be improved significantly.

Created on Jun 24, 2010 7:53:40 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to know if the report generator has fully decoupled from the web interface, in version 7, because I have problems with it.

I am on a customer right now. He has about 3500 sensors on a server with 2GB of RAM and 4 CPUs at 2,92 Ghz and when I try to generate top 100 uptime report from last week, the server PRTG is installed in become too slowly and the report is not generated.

The OS running on the server is Windows 2003 R2.

I would like you to help us to identify the problem and solve it.

Thank you very much!

Created on Sep 20, 2010 4:10:23 PM

Last change on Sep 20, 2010 4:26:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In PRTG 7, the report generation is linked to the Webserver/Webinterface, this will be decoupled with PRTG 8. We would need to take a look on the logfiles of the PRTG Server, to look into the issue and identify the problem.

Created on Sep 20, 2010 4:26:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

And how can I get these logs (where are they) and how can I send them to you?

Thanks

Created on Sep 20, 2010 4:43:07 PM

Votes:

You will find the log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\V7\Logs (System) Vista: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\V7\Logs (System)

You can send them to us to [email protected], please along with some comments on the issue.

Created on Sep 20, 2010 7:42:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I realise this is an old thread, but reporting still appears to be integrated with PRTG Core Server. Are there still plans for separating it into a separate function? If it could be separated into a separate reporting server that would aid performance greatly.

Created on Sep 16, 2014 11:53:18 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid a full separate PRTG report "server" is not planned. We do have improvements on the reporting on our list though. Please bear with us.

Created on Sep 18, 2014 8:32:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.