What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

The Errormessage could not be transfered properly.

Votes:

Occasionally some of my sensors through an error message that says "The Errormessage could not be transfered properly."

The most recent message was on a CPU Load sensor against a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.

There is also a typo in the word transferred.

cpu-load error prtg wmi

Created on Sep 30, 2013 7:38:33 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I apologize, this is actually an issue, where obviously the error message is not displayed properly. This will be fixed in one of the next stable versions. But to solve the root issue, Please try using the "WMI only" option. This option is set in the PRTG device (!) the Windows sensor is created on. You can change it in the Windows Compatibility Options section of the device settings. http://abload.de/img/wmionly1jfsi4.png

Created on Oct 7, 2013 12:16:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 7, 2013 12:16:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Could you please upload some screenshots showing the "Log"-Tab of the sensor? Thank you.

best regards.

Created on Oct 1, 2013 1:52:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am experiencing this error as well on a backup server's WMI Network Adapter Sensor. As soon as the network load goes up significantly (which is several times a day), the sensor obviously fails to receive data and reports a "Warning" state with the above message. According to the log, the sensor tries to do some sort of WMI-fallback (which is strange, I thought this was a WMI sensor anyway?) a few minutes later and then fails with error state 0xB0000004 (wrong credentials). As soon as the network load goes down, everything's working fine again. It's a HP ProLiant Win2k8 R2 SP2 Machine with a HP NC382i DP NIC. No other WMI sensors are affected. Any ideas to work around this issue? Best regards!

Created on Oct 7, 2013 8:53:36 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I apologize, this is actually an issue, where obviously the error message is not displayed properly. This will be fixed in one of the next stable versions. But to solve the root issue, Please try using the "WMI only" option. This option is set in the PRTG device (!) the Windows sensor is created on. You can change it in the Windows Compatibility Options section of the device settings. http://abload.de/img/wmionly1jfsi4.png

Created on Oct 7, 2013 12:16:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 7, 2013 12:16:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Seems to work OK. Thank you!

Created on Oct 11, 2013 12:31:07 PM

Votes:

With an updated version, I haven't seen this error any more. Thank you.

Created on Dec 30, 2013 5:27:14 PM

Votes:

I am experiencing this problem whereby all of my page file sensors are failing. I am using PRTG v13.3.5.2685 is this the version that still has this issue?

I have tried VMI only in Windows compatibility settings and it has made no difference.

This problem seems to be getting worse, does anyone have any good ideas?

Created on Feb 6, 2014 12:54:39 PM

Votes:

Geoff, please update your PRTG Version. It should then show a valid error message, that you could takle with our WMI Guides and/or Performance Counter Guide.

Created on Feb 6, 2014 8:50:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.