What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Display last message value instead of response time

Votes:

Hello,

Our company is currently using PRTG to monitor some devices on several different locations. Now we would like to monitor more things about some Palo Alto firewalls, so we imported some MIB's.

We can now read the system software version but the primary channel is response time instead of the value I want to see which is displayed in the last message field. I saw some other users who have asked questions about this behauviour in the past and the reply from Paessler was that the request was being looked into, this was in late 2011. So I am wondering if it is already possible to display the output in the last message field instead of the response time?

This is the older question of someone who would like the same feature. https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/12793-is-there-any-way-to-monitor-a-text-string-with-an-snmp-custom-sensor

Am I missing some option or was this feature never implemented?

Regards,

custom-snmp-sensor last-message prtg

Created on Oct 1, 2013 2:29:09 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post and your feedback. We really appreciate it! Unfortunately this is not as easily implemented as it "sounds", which is why there were no changes so far. It's still on the wishlist though.
It might be better though to simply respond to the original KB-Thread on such feature request topics. That gives us a better chance of a better understanding how many users would like to see something implemented.

best regards.

Created on Oct 2, 2013 11:46:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. At first I tried responding to the older thread but the page did not show a reply box after I had logged in.

Created on Oct 2, 2013 11:51:18 AM

Votes:

I am now facing the same challenge/issues. I realize this thread is 3 years old but is there a way around this now?

Created on Mar 1, 2017 8:54:36 AM

Votes:

spoonerd, can you share some screenshots, showing the full settings as well as the full overview-tab of the sensor in question? In case it is a SNMP based sensor, please also share the OID, which it monitors, as text. Thank you!

Created on Mar 1, 2017 12:38:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We would also like to see the "Last Message" information instead of the Response Time. We use Riverbed Steelhead and have compiled their MIB. We can check optimized connections , temperature, serial number and other stuff. But for serial number we can just see the response time. The serial numbe ris just visible in "Last Message" and not in the channel information field.

Created on Jul 14, 2017 8:31:46 AM

Votes:

Hello mayerth,
thank you for your reply.

It's not that we don't want to display it, but channels are inherently numerical. The serial number is probably alphanumeric so it can't be assigned to a channel. When you're in the device's overview you can see the sensor's message as well. There are also map objects where you can display the message as well. So why exactly do you need the serial number in the "Last Value" field?

The following KB-Post explains a bit about the alternatives when it comes to monitoring strings:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 14, 2017 1:04:54 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello,

I have the same problem. I am trying to read a voltage value and log this value in a channel. But the voltage is being displayed as the Message and I have no option to add as a channel, I only have Response Time or Downtime as channel options. Is there a fix for this yet? I can run the OID through SNMP Tester and see the result I want listed against "Value", so surely this should be what is recorded in the channel?

Created on Jan 13, 2023 5:00:36 PM

Votes:

Hey Jonny,
If you have the OID and it is numeric, then you can use the Custom SNMP Sensor. This gives you the opportunity to monitor values via OID. Please note that these values need to be numeric.

Created on Jan 18, 2023 12:23:54 PM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.