What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active Directory Problems

Votes:

In this example, I'm using the domain office and the username djcrumple and I'm using PRTG v13.

System Administation > System & Website > Active Directory Domain is set to office and I've created a user group in PRTG that links to one of our AD groups. I haven't been able to log into PRTG with windows creds, and I have tried logging in with and without the domain on the user name. I get two different errors in the log depending on how I log in. Errors are from PRTG Core Server.log

Login: djcrumple

Error: 10/3/2013 4:15:47 PM Webserver: GroupEnum2: 80070035: The network path was not found

Login: office/djcrumple

Error: 10/3/2013 4:11:47 PM Webserver: ADsLogin1(LDAP://office|office\djcrumple): 8007052E: The user name or password is incorrect

We've tried multiple times with different user accounts, so we know the passwords aren't actually incorrect.

active-directory credentials ldap login

Created on Oct 4, 2013 12:20:39 AM

Last change on Dec 23, 2015 1:21:26 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

- The fist login type is the correct one (without a domain prefix)

- The log error message indicates that the 'WinNT' provider is not available on your AD. This isn't necessarily a problem, as PRTG uses LDAP for most AD operations. In this case the error means that PRTG is not able to read the primary AD user group of this AD user (as seen by the AD, not to be mixed up with 'primary user group' in PRTG). If you have selected this AD user group as corresponding AD user group for a PRTG user group, this is a problem. You have to use another AD user group in your PRTG user group configuration then.

- It is possible that your AD access user configured on the Sytem &Website page has no rights to access the 'memberOf' property of the user which tries to login. (https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/53863-active-directory-users-cant-login-to-prtg-what-can-i-do).

Created on Oct 4, 2013 12:14:45 PM by  Roland Grau [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 7, 2016 12:05:17 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. Turns out this was user error on my part. I mistook one of our email groups as an AD group.

Created on Oct 4, 2013 4:42:55 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.