What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG API and Channel Settings

Votes:

Hello,

Is there a way to get or set channel settings for a given sensor through the HTTP API? Specifically, I want to be able to enable or disable limits on channels, as well as set the upper or lower limits.

api channel channels prtg

Created on Oct 9, 2013 3:26:59 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
no, I'm afraid it is not possible to access the channel settings through PRTG API. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on Oct 9, 2013 7:36:39 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this been addressed in new releases of PRTG? I need to be able to change limits for large number of sensors and/or channels, so this is a key feature.

Created on Oct 28, 2015 6:14:16 PM

Votes:

Sorry, channel settings still can't be done via API. Note that this is not due to "we can't do it", but it's because "we don't really want users to create their own PRTG interfaces" since this might lead to unforseen errors and cause increased workload for our support team.

However, you can change limits for multiple sensors/channels via multi-edit (see "Channel Settings"). Note that this works only for sensors of the same type.

Created on Oct 29, 2015 7:23:06 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can't we read and edit existing channels without getting the ability to create new ones? I really need to be able to edit settings of existing channels through the API. We have no need to add new channels. Since we can already read and edit the channel settings through the PRTG interface how would doing the same thing via the API cause increased workload to the Paessler Support team?

Created on Nov 9, 2015 11:14:16 PM

Votes:

It might increase workload in terms of "Oh yeah, we have a script running every 5 seconds that passes current limits to PRTG and modifies the channels accordingly". Just an example, but it would take time to figure out :)

The API will see a revamp probably sometime next year where more options will be made available; changing channel settings will probably be one of the new features. However, don't pin me down on it. There is also no release date yet. That leaves channels not editable with the API as of right now. Sorry!

Created on Nov 10, 2015 9:13:21 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

In the meantime the API has been able to edit channels of a sensor. Unfortunately, there is still no way to export the values of all channels into a CSV.

Is there another way to export the channel settings for all sensors to a CSV?

It would be desirable to be able to store the bandwidth in the sensor settings of an SNMP traffic sensor, not in the channel settings as before

Greetings, Marco

Created on Nov 15, 2017 12:48:30 PM

Votes:

Hi Marco,

Unfortunately, no. It's not possible to export the channel settings conveniently.
The following should be helpful: https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 16, 2017 9:58:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.