What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Different user than administrator on a probe

Votes:

I created a DFSR Monitor user and added him to the Distributed COM Users group. I also gave Remote Launch and Remote Activation privileges to the Distributed COM Users group. I have a PRTG probe on a Backup Document server that uses a script from that server to look at the production document server as well. The probe is running but the PTRG website sees the probe as disconnected. What am I doing wrong?

different-user-than-administrator disconnected-probe probe-looking-at-two-different-servers

Created on Oct 15, 2013 1:21:59 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

So the Remote Probe that is running on the Backup Document server is not acknowledged by PRTG at all? Were you able to connect the Remote Probe to the core when you first built it or has it never been able to connect?

Most of the time this is due to firewall restrictions and if the probe service on the remote probe is running, then I think it probably doesn't have to do with the user you are using but more that the Remote Probe cannot connect to the PRTG server.

One other thing that you may want to check if this is the first Remote Probe you have implemented is that the key for the connection is correct. Also, you need to make sure that the settings in the core allow for remote probes to connect on that IP.

Created on Oct 16, 2013 3:00:13 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.