What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can logs be filtered by status and group?

Votes:

I'm trying to search the logs for when some of our web servers went down a while ago. I can filter by status (down), and I can filter by group (web servers, in this case), but both of these result in lists that are too long for me to work with. Is there a way to filter both status and group at the same time?

filter logs search

Created on Oct 18, 2013 3:45:35 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

You can append the ID of the group to the URL for the status and vice versa using the API. If you were to do this, it would look something like what I have pasted below:

log.htm?filter_status=620&filter_status=608&id=groupID

The section filter_status=620&filter_status=608 is for the down status and the section id=groupID is where you would specify the id of the group.

Created on Oct 21, 2013 1:06:24 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks! That works perfectly. Manually editing the URL is a little kludgy, but effective.

Created on Oct 21, 2013 6:59:51 PM

Votes:

Could you please specify the filter status values? In this example you used 620 and 608. What could be the other possible values? (For Warning, Unknown, Up, etc)

Also, in the API help section it mentions the following values:

Unknown=1, Collecting=2, Up=3, Warning=4, Down=5, NoProbe=6, PausedbyUser=7, PausedbyDependency=8, PausedbySchedule=9, Unusual=10, PausedbyLicense=11, PausedUntil=12, DownAcknowledged=13, DownPartial=14

But those values do not seem to work with the filter_status parameter for the log.htm request page.

Thanks.

Created on Jun 3, 2014 3:43:56 PM

Votes:

If you click on the logs tab and choose the different filters by status changes you will see all of the various values. Those values in the API are for checking which sensors are in those states currently through the alarms page. Below are the values that you may want to use.

up=607
down=620, 608
warning=609
unusual=610
acknowledged=619
resuming=602
pausing by user=603
pausing by parent=604
paused by dependency=605
paused by schedule=606

Created on Jun 4, 2014 11:39:35 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was looking for status values and visited this post but it doesn't give all values, This is a complete list of status values that I found when I extracted PRTG's database to MS SQL Server, you can find it in the table named "dbo.Constants". I'm using PRTG network monitor version 16.1.21.1692+

ColumnIDText
Status601Unknown
Status602Resuming
Status603Paused
Status604Paused By User
Status605Paused By Dependency
Status606Paused By Schedule
Status607Up
Status608Down
Status609Warning
Status610Unusual
Status611Ok
Status612Probe Connected
Status613Probe Disconnected
Status614Probe Info
Status615Paused License
Status616No Probe
Status617None
Status618Active
Status619Down Acknowledged
Status620Down Partial
Source0Self
Source1Parent
Source2Library

Created on Mar 15, 2016 3:16:28 PM

Last change on Mar 16, 2016 11:59:28 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello nabhar,
thank you for sharing!

Created on Mar 16, 2016 12:00:02 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Why did PRTG take away logs by group on PRTG 18? Im really upset by this, its one of the easiest ways for me to know what happened in a certain group and now its gone. I can filter logs by group on cellphone app but not on the web interface. I wish I could go back to PRTG 17. Can you guys bring this back?

Created on May 10, 2018 5:17:57 PM

Votes:

Hello Ernesto,
thank you for your KB-Post.

May I ask what you elaborate? What exactly are you missing? Please share further details (or a screenshot) of what exactly you're missing. Are you using the API or web-interface?

In the current PRTG release (18.2.40) you can view the logs for any group by clicking the relevant group and then switching to the "Logs" tab.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 11, 2018 8:49:40 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.