New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

What are the requirements to monitor IBM System x?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I would like to monitor my IBM System x servers with the available SNMP sensors. What do I need for this purpose and where can I get required components?

ibm prtg requirements snmp system-x systems-director

Created on Oct 23, 2013 3:50:25 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13.x.4 or later

Monitoring IBM System x

In order to monitor IBM System x servers, you can add one of the following sensors to the corresponding device in your PRTG installation:

However, these sensor types need the IBM Systems Director Platform Agent to be installed on the target IBM device. This component allows PRTG to monitor the system through SNMP.

You can download the platform agent for a manual installation here:

Note: SNMP for Windows must also be enabled and configured for these sensors to work. If your SNMP IBM System x sensors show error code PE187, PE188, or PE194, please see this article in our Knowledge Base:

Created on Oct 23, 2013 3:52:16 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 10, 2017 4:37:06 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Do you only need the IBM Systems Director Platform Agent installed or do you need also the Management Server installed to work with the Platform Agent? Do I also need IMM enabled/configured or the Systems Director works independently? I have SNMP enabled on the server and monitoring various sensors but need hardware health sensors . I did run the pre-installation utility on the server and it was compatible.

Created on Feb 23, 2018 7:36:12 PM by  Adeel Azam (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Dear aazam,

Thank you very much for the information.

Usually, the IBM Systems Director Platform Agent is sufficient.
However, the SNMP IBM System X Sytem Health sensor can also run directly on an Integrated Management Module (IMM) network port and can show the overall health on IMMs.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 27, 2018 7:06:03 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.