What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP x NETFLOW

Votes:

Hello,

I Wonder why there is a big difference between a graphical report from SNMP and Netflow as follow attached.

Release that SNMP GVT reports almost 20Mbps at 08:50 which NF GVT reports 11 Mbps at the same moment.

Why there is that discrepancy ?

netflow prtg9 snmp

Created on Oct 28, 2013 6:50:07 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

There could be many reasons for this. The first few that come to mind are that SNMP reports the Netflow traffic and that there could be filters on the Netflow sensor or the Netflow could be set up to only export flows from certain interfaces rather than all the interfaces. Without much more information and or screenshots though it's difficult to say.

Created on Oct 29, 2013 10:57:14 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

First thing I would check in your NetFlow configuration is the sampling rate.

By default NetFlow creates records for all packets but I haven't seen many people that don't apply some kind of sampling rate to lower CPU utilization on the router.

Created on Oct 29, 2013 3:06:17 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.