What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I calculate total bandwidth used?

Votes:

I've pulled reports that show Total(speed) in kbit/s.

I'm trying to determine if this will effectively tell me the bandwidth used for that device. For example, my report is in 5 minute increments- if this column does show the bandwidth usage, I would take that number provided and multiply it by (5*60) to get the total Kbit speed for that interval?

bandwidth-speed bandwidth-used speed

Created on Nov 6, 2013 6:29:00 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. If you multiply the "Total Speed kbit/s" with 300, you will get the volume of Traffic in that 5 minute period.

best regards.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 3:32:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So what if I wanted to calculate the bandwidth being used by that server? In looking at the historical data, I'm presented with these columns:

Date Time Date Time (RAW), Traffic Total (volume), Traffic Total (volume)(RAW), Traffic Total (speed), Traffic Total (speed)(RAW), Traffic In (Volume), Traffic In (volume)(RAW), Traffic In (speed), Traffic In (speed)(RAW), Traffic Out (volume), Traffic Out (volume)(RAW), Traffic Out (speed), Traffic Out (speed)(RAW)

Which one of these would be used to determine the bandwidth. The historical data is presented to be my second instead of 5 minute intervals.

Created on Nov 12, 2013 2:39:00 PM

Votes:

These all represent bandwidth, just in different perspectives. Either speed (volume per time) or just volumes, and that in different directions.

Created on Nov 12, 2013 2:51:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Maybe I'm just more confused about this because if they all represent bandwidth why would they vary some are KByte some are kbit. I would assume that what I'm trying to do is simple, but there is just too much information being supplied, misconstruing what's actually being represented.

Created on Nov 12, 2013 2:53:55 PM

Votes:

Because some are speed which would have the units /s (so kbit/s for example) the other are volumes, which have byte-based units (Kbyte for example). Speed is always the volume divided by the time, in which the volume of traffic occurred.

Created on Nov 12, 2013 3:03:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.