What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IP Selection - Organizational Units does not work in Auto Discovery

Votes:

Hi,

We have office scattered around in a mining area and I would like to classify clients per building and group them. I am trying to select IP Selection as Organizational Unit but it gives errors.

Our Domain is: gold.local Some of the OU's are: ADMIN, GEOLOGY, IT

Can someone please advise.

auto-discovery groups organization

Created on Nov 7, 2013 6:36:15 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

When you are setting up the domain groups, have you added the domain to the settings in PRTG? These settings can be found in the System and Website settings under Web server and website settings. There you will find a field that needs to be filled out for the domain. If that is filled out and still is not working, you may need to provide credentials for a domain admin to access AD. You can do that in the field directly under the field for the domain.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 9:51:18 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I have added those information. Active Directory Domain: gold.local Active Directory Access: Use explicit credentials Active Directory Access User: Both are provided.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 9:58:29 PM

Votes:

I have done that. Active Directory Domain: gold.local Active Directory Access: Use explicit credentials Active Directory Access User: Already supplied

Created on Nov 7, 2013 10:02:36 PM

Votes:

What errors are you getting exactly? Have you tried to reset the AD domain to nothing and then save the settings and then set it back and save the settings?

Created on Nov 8, 2013 2:17:56 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When I add a Auto Discovery Group via Active Directory, this is the error that appears:

Oops...

The validation of at least one of the new objects failed because of the following:

Your IP selection must result in 1-65536 IP addresses

The object was not created.

Error URL: /addgroup2.htm?accessgroup=0&accessgroup=1&accessrights_=1&accessrights_201=-1&accessrights_5796=-1&devicetemplate_=1&discoveryschedule_=0&discoverytype_=1&esxpassword_=***&esxprotocol_=0&esxuser_=&httpproxy=0&httpproxy=1&id=5797&iplist_=&iplistv6_=&ipoctetrange_=&ipou_=GEOLOGY&ipselectmethod_=5&ipsubnet_=&linuxconnection=0&linuxconnection=1&linuxloginmode_=0&linuxloginpassword_=***&linuxloginusername_=&name_=Group 2&privatekey_=&proxy_=&proxypassword_=***&proxyport_=8080&proxyuser_=&skipknownips_=1&snmpauthmode_=authpHMACMD596&snmpauthpass_=***&snmpcommv1_=public&snmpcommv2_=public&snmpcontext_=&snmpencpass_=***&snmpport_=161&snmptimeout_=5&snmpuser_=&snmpversion_=V2&snmpversiongroup=0&snmpversiongroup=1&sshport_=22&tags_=&usedns_=1&vmwareconnection=0&vmwareconnection=1&wbemport_=5989&wbemportmode_=0&wbemprotocol_=https&windowsconnection=0&windowsconnection=1&windowslogindomain_=&windowsloginpassword_=***&windowsloginusername_=&

Please let me know what seems to be the issue at hand.

Created on Nov 17, 2013 8:40:07 PM

Last change on Nov 18, 2013 8:37:04 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

From the error code, it seems like the OU that you are trying to use either doesn't have computers in it or PRTG cannot resolve the names of the computers. If you have sub-OUs, too, please consider the correct syntax in the format Y,OU=X : OUs that are part of another OU have to be listed together with their parent(s). Enter the sub-OU followed by ,OU= and the name of the parent OU. For example, assuming that the organizational unit 'Y' is part of the OU named 'X'. Then the syntax would be Y,OU=X . For three OUs 'X', 'Y' part of 'X', and 'Z' part of 'Y', the syntax would be Z,OU=Y,OU=X . Note that the order is important, sub-OUs have to be listed left of its according parents!

Created on Nov 18, 2013 8:36:40 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.