What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Server Monitoring WMI

Votes:

I have a remote server that is not part of a domain which was working for WMI monitoring up until yesterday, then it stopped responding to WMI monitoring.

I have followed both: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/1073-what-are-the-most-common-errors-when-monitoring-wmi & https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/203-how-can-i-monitor-wmi-sensors-if-the-target-machine-is-not-part-of-a-domain

Without success of getting the monitoring to work again.

I have tested with the WMI Tester with different combinations of IP / Computer name, domain, etc.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

prtg server wmi

Created on Nov 8, 2013 1:21:53 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, which results did you then get with the WMI Tester? Also, which exact sensor types are used to monitor the target? And which errors do the sensors show?

best regards.

Created on Nov 11, 2013 12:38:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Having left the sensors paused for 96+ hours, and unpausing them to check the error they were giving, they are now all working as before.

However the information you wanted is as below - The sensors I believe gave the same error as the WMI Tested regarding Error 800706BA :

Using the WMI Tester I get the below: Error: 800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable

Previously the following were working: CPU Load Memory Free Disk Space (Multi Drive)

Created on Nov 11, 2013 1:47:55 PM

Votes:

Pausing the sensor this long means a new WMI Connection was established to the target. But that should also have been the case with restarting the PRTG Probe Service and/or restarting the target. Should this happen again, please try these two.

Created on Nov 11, 2013 3:23:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.